BackgroundA magnetic field is the area around a magnet where its magnetic force can be felt.
Materials Needed1 bar magnet
Procedure1. Place the magnet in the center of the next page.
2. Put the compass near one end of the magnet. Let the needle stop moving. Note the direction of the needle. Lift the compass and draw an arrow where the compass was. The arrow should point in the same direction as the painted end of the compass needle.
3. Move the compass toward the middle of the magnet. When the needle settles, note its direction and draw an arrow as before.
4. Repeat this as you move the compass to the other end of the magnet.
5. Now start again from a different place near the end of the magnet. Go from end to end at least 3 times. Explore both above and below the magnet.
6. When you're done, your arrows show you where the magnetic field is.
Posted by Jay Roberts at 04:26 AM | Permalink